Re: Time to drop plpython2?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 15.11.21 19:52, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I think we should just write to the build farm owners, we plan to drop
>> python2 support in, say, 60 days, please update your setup to use
>> python3 or disable python support.

> This discussion stalled.  I think we should do *something* for
> PostgreSQL 15.

Agreed.  We want plpython2 out of there for v15, or we'll be adding
another year to the length of time we're on the hook to support
python2 in the back branches --- which, as you say, is getting
ever more painful to do.

> I suspect at this point, the Meson move isn't going to happen for
> PostgreSQL 15.

Also agreed.  Nonetheless, we need to make a recommendation to the
buildfarm owners about what's the minimum python3 version we intend
to support going forward.  Do we want to just set it at 3.6, with
the expectation that the meson move will happen before too long?

(I'm not going to accept being fuzzy on this point, because I need
to know what to install on prairiedog and gaur.  I intend to install
whatever our minimum supported version is, not only to keep us honest
on that being actually supported, but because I anticipate that
newer python versions will be correspondingly harder to build on
ancient platforms.)