Re: Practical maximum max_locks_per_transaction?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Practical maximum max_locks_per_transaction?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> writes:
> How "raised" is too raised?  I just had to increase
> max_locks_per_transaction from 640 to 1024 on an instance with many child
> tables and against which is run many large reports.  Another instance has
> zero children, but had to increase the value to 1280 to prevent reports from
> failing.

max_locks_per_transaction in isolation means nothing.  What counts
is the product max_locks_per_transaction * max_connections, which is
(more or less) the number of slots allocated in the shared lock table.

Having said that, you can probably make it as big as you want
on any reasonably modern machine.  I wouldn't blink at a few
million locktable entries, at least not on 64-bit hardware.