Re: PostgreSQL Inheritance and column mapping

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Inheritance and column mapping
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> Was there ever any discussion.thought about being able to follow a non-strict by name
> column mapping between inherited tables and father tables?

No.  You could use a view with UNION ALL perhaps.

(The subtext here is that past discussion of inheritance has generally
focused on *eliminating* differences between parent and child tables, so
as to make query planning and execution faster/simpler.  That is, when the
discussion doesn't consist of somebody wanting to get rid of inheritance
altogether.  I think the enthusiasm for supporting even-less-compatible
child tables will be not distinguishable from zero.)