Re: 'infinity'::Interval should be added

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 'infinity'::Interval should be added
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Isaac Morland <isaac.morland@gmail.com> writes:
> I would be interested if you have an example where the ability of
> date/timestamp values to be infinite adds special case coding.

I think Robert is talking about the implementation functions for
timestamp-related operations, which typically do have to special-case
infinite inputs.  I take your point that there might be fewer special
cases in the calling SQL code, though.

> The wart I'm worried about is subtraction of infinite dates. Right now
> dates subtract to give integers; and there are no infinite integers. All
> the clever solutions to this I have right now involve making highly
> backward-incompatible changes.

As far as that goes, I'm content to say that infinity is outside the
domain of type date.  If you need infinities, use timestamp.