Re: Postgresql's table & index compared to that of MySQL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgresql's table & index compared to that of MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andy <angelflow@yahoo.com> writes:
> Are there any reasons why table & index sizes of Postgresql should be larger than MySQL?

Well, the per-row headers in PG are definitely bigger because of MVCC
requirements.  It's hard to speculate much about index sizes with
no information about the table/index schemas.

> The company in the presentation used Postgresql 8.1. Has there been any significant changes in data size between 8.1
and8.4/9.0?

Well, we shaved 4 bytes off the tuple header size since 8.1, and there's
been work on cutting per-field overhead too, and there's now some
ability to control fillfactor in indexes.  But there's really not enough
information here to say how much difference this might've made for them.