Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Lets rename the directory.

> Hmmm, but we call it 'xml2' in the doc. There is no 'pgxml' at all in it.
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/xml2.html

> However, I don't think we can change the module name because pg_upgrade
> will fail if the module (.so) name was changed. So, it might be the
> point of compromise to keep two names until we deprecate it completely.

If the extensions manager is dependent on the assumption that a module's
name matches the name of the directory it's built in, that assumption
needs to be removed anyway.  There are too many use-cases where that
wouldn't hold, even if we try to force the standard contrib modules to
follow such a rule.