Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Added the Skytools extended transaction ID module to contrib as
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> We wouldn't be having this discussion at all if we had not had a
> horribly long period beween feature freeze and beta.

I'm not sure about that.  The bottom line to me is that we are doing a
favor to the Slony and Skytools projects, who figured out *after* our
feature freeze that they could use some common code but it would be
too late if it wasn't available in 8.3.  Even had the freeze period
been only a couple weeks, that could have happened --- it was just the
sort of unfortunate timing that the universe likes to play on humans ;-)

There was some complaining in this thread that we were showing
favoritism to the txid patch.  I'll plead guilty instead to favoritism
to the Slony and Skytools projects --- the patch would certainly have
gotten bounced without the support of those projects.  I don't have a
good grasp on the importance of Skytools, but I do know about Slony,
and I don't have a problem with cutting them a break on a small,
low-risk patch, even if it is a feature addition.  The patches that got
passed over for 8.3 were neither small nor low-risk; in fact, the reason
the process dragged out so long was exactly that we busted our butts
to get in everything that had any chance at all of getting in.

Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Сообщение: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review