Re: PostgreSQL and HugePage

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and HugePage
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL and HugePage  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Re: PostgreSQL and HugePage  (Hsien-Wen Chu <chu.hsien.wen@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM, daveg <daveg@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:08:37PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>>> Heh - provided you specify
>>> SHM_HUGETLB
>>> in the relevant call that is :-)

>> I had a patch for this against 8.3 that I could update if there is any
>> interest. I suspect it is helpful.

> I think it would be a good feature.  Of course, we would need
> appropriate documentation, and some benchmarks showing that it really
> works.

I believe that for the equivalent Solaris option, we just automatically
enable it when available.  So there'd be no need for user documentation.
However, I definitely *would* like to see some benchmarks proving that
the change actually does something useful.  I've always harbored the
suspicion that this is just a knob to satisfy people who need knobs to
frob.