Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> writes:
> On Jan 19, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Can you show us the messages, so we can understand the distribution of
>> the pages?

> All of the warnings are below.  For tables that had multiple warnings
> they seem to be for consecutive pages.

Hmm --- that pattern sure looks like a smoking gun to me.  Have you got
any numbers about the likely relative sizes of the affected tables,
and/or their growth rates while the rsync was in progress?  What I am
thinking is that the uninitialized pages probably represent the ranges
of pages that were added to these tables while the base backup was going
on.  That could be partially confirmed, or conclusively disproven, if
we had numbers about the table sizes and growth rates; but I think we
could take it as a working hypothesis if we don't.

If that is the case, then I can think of two explanations:

1. rsync misfeasance

2. the PITR replay started from some point later than that base backup
started, and the missing pages are those that were added and filled in
between.

Theory #2 has two subtheories: 2A, you didn't follow the procedures
properly, and 2B, you did but there's a bug in the procedures.