Re: [HACKERS] psql casts aspersions on server reliability

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql casts aspersions on server reliability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 09:14:41AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I could go along with just dropping the last sentence ("This probably...")
>> if the last error we got was FATAL level.  I don't find "unexpectedly"
>> to be problematic here: from the point of view of psql, and probably
>> of its user, the shutdown *was* unexpected.

> I looked at this thread from 2016 and I think the problem is the
> "abnormally" word, since if the server was shutdown by the administrator
> (most likely), it isn't abnormal.  Here is a patch to remove
> "abnormally".

I do not think this is an improvement.  The places you are changing
are reacting to a connection closure.  *If* we had previously gotten a
"FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command" message,
then yeah the connection closure is expected; but if not, it isn't.
Your patch adds no check for that.  (As I remarked in 2016, we could
probably condition this on the elevel being FATAL, rather than
checking for specific error messages.)