Re: symbol mismatches on minor version upgrades

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: symbol mismatches on minor version upgrades
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> A while ago, I blogged about the following problem:
> (http://petereisentraut.blogspot.com/2011/07/undefined-symbol.html)

While not wishing to deny that this can be a problem, I think you're
overstating this aspect:

> Now if this had been, say, plpython, which is also developed closely
> together with the backend, but is probably shipped in a separate binary
> package and has extra dependencies, so it might reasonably not be
> upgraded at the same time, there would be additional problems.  We
> should figure out a way to advise packagers about putting in tight
> enough version dependencies when this happens.

This is not possible at least in the Red Hat world, because all the
subpackages have exact-version-and-release dependencies tying them
together.  That's distro policy not just my whim, and I'd expect other
server-grade distros to have similar policies.

You're right though that doing a "yum update" underneath a running
server could cause transient failures until the server was restarted
with the new postgres executable.