Re: Debugging postgresql source on gdb

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Debugging postgresql source on gdb
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Shreya Bhargava <shreya_bhargav@yahoo.com> writes:
> 1. gdb postgres
> 2. set args -D test (test is my dbcluster)
> 3. b hashbuild(this is the function i want to break on)
> 4. run

You've set the breakpoint in the postmaster process.  It won't propagate
to child backends, at least not without special gdb pushups.

The way that I usually debug things is to start the client psql job,
then determine the PID of the backend serving it, and "attach" to
that process in gdb.

In a development environment where you're likely to have only one or
a few backends running, this shell script might help:

#!/bin/sh

# tee /dev/tty is for user to see the set of procs considered
PROCS=`ps auxww | \
    grep postgres: | \
    grep -v -e 'grep postgres:' -e 'postgres: stats' -e 'postgres: writer' -e 'postgres: archiver' -e 'postgres:
logger'-e 'postgres: autovacuum' | \
    tee /dev/tty | \
    awk '{print $2}'`

if [ `echo "$PROCS" | wc -w` -eq 1 ]
then
    exec gdb $PGINSTROOT/bin/postgres -silent "$PROCS"
else
    exec gdb $PGINSTROOT/bin/postgres -silent
fi

This will attach directly to the target backend if there's only one,
else you can examine the ps output to determine which PID to attach to.