Re: [bug fix] strerror() returns ??? in a UTF-8/C database with LC_MESSAGES=non-ASCII

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [bug fix] strerror() returns ??? in a UTF-8/C database with LC_MESSAGES=non-ASCII
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> ... I think
> MauMau's original bind_textdomain_codeset() proposal was on the right track.

It might well be.  My objection was to the proposal for back-patching it
when we have little idea of the possible side-effects.  I would be fine
with handling that as a 9.4-only patch (preferably with the usual review
process).

> We would need to do that for every relevant 3rd-party message domain, though.
> Ick.

Yeah, and another question is whether 3rd-party code might not do its own
bind_textdomain_codeset() call with what it thinks is the right setting,
thereby overriding our attempted fix.

Still, libc is certainly the source of the vast majority of
potentially-translated messages that we might be passing through to users,
so fixing it would be a step forward.