Re: describe working as intended?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: describe working as intended?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman@gmail.com> writes:
> So, I noticed that if I make a table in one schema and then a table with the
> same name in another schema that describe only shows me one of them.

Yes, that's intended, psql's \d will only show you tables that are
visible in the search path, unless you give it a qualified pattern.
You can do something like "\d *.t1" if you want to see all the
instances of t1.

This is documented I believe ... ah yes, here:

    Whenever the pattern parameter is omitted completely, the \d commands
    display all objects that are visible in the current schema search path
    — this is equivalent to using * as the pattern. (An object is said to
    be visible if its containing schema is in the search path and no
    object of the same kind and name appears earlier in the search
    path. This is equivalent to the statement that the object can be
    referenced by name without explicit schema qualification.) To see all
    objects in the database regardless of visibility, use *.* as the
    pattern.
    A pattern that contains a dot (.) is interpreted as a schema name
    pattern followed by an object name pattern. For example, \dt
    foo*.*bar* displays all tables whose table name includes bar that are
    in schemas whose schema name starts with foo. When no dot appears,
    then the pattern matches only objects that are visible in the current
    schema search path. Again, a dot within double quotes loses its
    special meaning and is matched literally.