Re: Patch: Add launchd Support

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Patch: Add launchd Support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@justatheory.com> writes:
> On Oct 20, 2014, at 4:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> (1) I'd vote for just removing the SystemStarter stuff: it complicates
>> understanding what's happening, to no very good end.  We can easily
>> check that the launchd way works back to whatever we think our oldest
>> supported OS X release is.  (10.4.x according to the buildfarm, at least;
>> and I think SystemStarter was deprecated even then ...)

> Okay. Might have to use OnDemand instead of KeepAlive on 10.4. The former was deprecated in 10.5, but I’m not sure
whenthe former was added.

[ looks ... ]  Yeah, there's no mention of KeepAlive in 10.4's
launchd.plist man page.  It does have a convenient example
saying that OnDemand = false does what we want:
    The following XML Property List simply keeps "exampled" running continu-    ously:
          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>          <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC -//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN
      http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd >          <plist version="1.0">          <dict>

>> (5) According to the launchd.plist man page, there are options for
>> redirecting stdout and stderr to someplace useful.  It might be worth
>> exercising those ...

> Suggestions?

I'd just drop them into files in the data directory; we're still going
to recommend that people use the logging_collector, so this is just a
stopgap to collect startup errors.