Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [Patch] Optimize dropping of relation buffers using dlist
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Hmmm.  The Linux comment led me to commit ffae5cc and a 2006 thread[1]
> showing a buggy sequence of system calls.

Hah, blast from the past ...

> AFAICS it was not even an
> SMP/race problem of the type you might half expect, it was a single
> process not seeing its own write.  I didn't find details on the
> version, filesystem etc.

Per the referenced bug-reporting thread, it was ReiserFS and/or NFS on
SLES 9.3; so, dubious storage choices on an ancient-even-then Linux
kernel.

I think the takeaway point is not so much that that particular bug
might recur as that storage infrastructure does sometimes have bugs.
If you're wanting to introduce new assumptions about what the filesystem
will do, it's prudent to think about how badly will we break if the
assumptions fail.