Re: Incorrect START TRANSACTION implementation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Incorrect START TRANSACTION implementation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> SQL99 part 2 clause 16.1 contains this note:
>     NOTE 327 - The characteristics of a transaction begun by a
>     <start transaction statement> are as specified in these General
>     Rules regardless of the characteristics specified by any
>     preceding <set transaction statement>. That is, even if one
>     or more characteristics are omitted by the <start transaction
>     statement>, the defaults specified in the Syntax Rules of this
>     Subclause are effective and are not affected by any (preceding)
>     <set transaction statement>.

> In other words, this should work:

> peter=# set session characteristics as transaction read only;
> SET
> peter=# start transaction;
> START TRANSACTION
> peter=# create table test (a int);
> ERROR:  transaction is read-only

Are you sure you're reading that correctly?  It says <set transaction
statement> not <set session characteristics statement>.  What use would
SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS have at all, if it's ignored by START
TRANSACTION?

It appears to me that the spec is saying that *this* should work:

regression=# set transaction read only;
SET
regression=# start transaction;
START TRANSACTION