Re: Backend Protocol

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Backend Protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Dave Cramer" <dave@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> This will involve understanding the client/backend protocol completely.
> So far I have found one reference to this. Does anyone have a flow chart
> or can point me to any other references.

The only documentation I know of is the protocol chapter in the PG
Developer's Guide:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/postgres/protocol.html

The development-sources version of this has additional entries for the
new authentication methods added in 7.2.  It's still missing any
discussion of SSL encryption :-(

It would probably be useful to add something flowchart-ish to section
4.2.2 to show the typical sequence of messages for various commands.
However, I'd caution you against wiring in more assumptions than you
absolutely must about message order.  It's best to build the client
library as a state machine that will accept any message type at any
time that the message makes any sense.