Re: Problems reading dump files coming from version 7.1 into version 8.1.

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Problems reading dump files coming from version 7.1 into version 8.1.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Dumortier" <dominique.dumortier@entpe.fr> writes:
> Since I could not figure how to make the pg_dump of v8.1 work correctly. I
> used the pg_dump of v7.1 and I obtained 5 files of about 5Go.

> I found on the mailing list a solution that someone had used which consisted
> in replacing the literal carriage returns using the sed program: sed
> s/^M/\\r/ file.dump > newfile.dump

> The files were reduced to a bit more than 1Go each,

You did something very wrong then.  This should have produced files that
were larger not smaller than the originals (not a lot larger, unless
there were huge numbers of carriage returns, but definitely not smaller).

It's worth asking whether there really were carriage returns in your
data in the first place.  Maybe they were artifacts of having
transferred the dump file through a Windows machine?