Re: How to determine a database is intact?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: How to determine a database is intact?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Wes Palmer <Wesley.R.Palmer@syntegra.com> writes:
> On 9/8/04 5:51 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> How much RAM have you got in the machine?  I'd think that you could
>> afford to put, say, a quarter or so of physical RAM into sort_mem, if
>> there is nothing much else going on during the data import.  64MB is
>> not a lot on that scale.

> The system currently has 2GB.  The system is dedicated to this database, so
> for a dedicated load I would think I could set it up to 1GB?

Maybe, but the sort_mem isn't the only thing you want a lot of --- you
don't want to be starving the kernel of disk buffers either.  Also I'm
not prepared to guarantee that the setting will be respected
on-the-nose, particularly not for FK rebuild.  You might want to keep an
eye on the thing with "top" and see what it really does.

I'd suggest some experimentation, maybe with settings of 256MB, 512MB,
1G to see what happens.