Re: Compression on SSL links?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Compression on SSL links?
Дата
Re: Compression on SSL links?  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> Overall: it sounds to me like SSL/TLS level compression would only be
> useful for native libpq-to-postgresql connections, and probably wouldn't
> be usable for non-libpq based database access drivers. It'd only work if
> SSL was configured, which is a limitation it'd be nice to avoid.

I don't really see that.  The case where it's sensible to use
compression on the connection is where you're pushing data across
a WAN.  That's also pretty much exactly the situation where it's
sensible to use encryption.  I guess there'd be a use case for
compression-without-encryption if you had a trustworthy private WAN,
but who's got one of those?

So I'm much more in favor of doing something like this than doing it
directly in our own protocol.