Re: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes)
Дата
Re: Extensions, patch v20 (bitrot fixes)  (Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> writes:
>> Oh, I wasn't aware that Itagaki-san had objected to Tom's proposal.

> I agree that "the default encoding is UTF-8", but it should be
> configurable by the 'encoding' parameter in control files.

Why is it necessary to have such a parameter at all?  AFAICS it just
adds complexity for little if any gain.  Most extension files will
probably be pure ASCII anyway.  Dictionary files are *far* more likely
to contain non-ASCII characters.  If we've gotten along fine with
requiring dictionary files to be UTF8, I can't see any reason why we
can't or shouldn't take the same approach to extension files.

> So, I think no additional complexity will be added even if we
> support a  configurable encoding as the third encoding.

This is nonsense.  The mere existence of the parameter requires code
to support it and user documentation to explain it.

Сообщение: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Сообщение: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)