Re: Shouldn't this be an error?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Shouldn't this be an error?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> Shouldn't this insert fail?   This is 7.0.3.

> template1=# create table foo(x int,y varchar(10),z datetime);
> CREATE
> template1=# insert into foo(x,y,z) values(1,'asdf');
> INSERT 19222 1

We've always allowed trailing columns to be omitted, whether a column
name list is specified or not.  This is not per spec --- SQL92 and SQL99
both say that all the columns must be provided --- but I'm rather
hesitant to enforce the spec's stricter rule at this point.  Seems like
it'd probably break some existing apps.

A compromise position would be to allow dropping trailing columns only
when the column name list is omitted.

Comments?