Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: OCTET_LENGTH is wrong
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> What's bothering me right now is the difference between client and
>> server encodings.

> OCTET_LENGTH returns the size of its argument, not the size of some
> possible future shape of that argument.

That would serve equally well as an argument for returning the
compressed length of the string, I think.  You'll need to do better.

My take on it is that when a particular client encoding is specified,
Postgres does its best to provide the illusion that your data actually
is stored in that encoding.  If we don't make OCTET_LENGTH agree, then
we're breaking the illusion.