Re: Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)
Дата
Ответ на Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Ответы Re: Viability of text HISTORY/INSTALL/regression README files (was Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document a few more regression test hazards.)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-docs
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
>>> I wonder if these standalone things are really worthwhile.

> I wonder how difficult it would be to make sufficient link data available when
> building the standalone files.  There would be no linking per se; we would
> just need the referent's text fragment emitted where the <xref> tag appears.

IIRC, that's basically what the "workaround" is, except it's not very
automated.  Even if it were automated, though, there's still a problem:
such links aren't really *useful* in flat text format.  I think that
forcing the author to actually think about what to put there in the
flat text version is a good thing, if we're going to retain the flat
text version at all.