Re: Explicit typing of numeric types

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Explicit typing of numeric types
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
"Alaric B. Snell" <abs@frontwire.com> writes:
> After a painful experience with int8 indices not being used for:
> SELECT * FROM foo WHERE id = 1;
> ...since 1 is an int4 not an int8, I'm wondering if there would be
> anything wrong with making the JDBC driver always put out explicit type
> declarations?

(a) How would JDBC know what to do better than the backend does?
What happens when (not if) JDBC puts out an inappropriate coercion?

(b) This is an acknowledged shortcoming that will be fixed someday.
I don't think it's appropriate to try to put temporary band-aids for
backend shortcomings in frontend drivers.  Surely the folks working on
JDBC have their own set of shortcomings to work on...