Re: atrocious update performance

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: atrocious update performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar@frodo.hserus.net> writes:
> Rosser Schwarz wrote:
>> shared_buffers = 4096
>> sort_mem = 32768
>> vacuum_mem = 32768
>> wal_buffers = 16384
>> checkpoint_segments = 64
>> checkpoint_timeout = 1800
>> checkpoint_warning = 30
>> commit_delay = 50000
>> effective_cache_size = 131072

> First of all, your shared buffers are low. 4096 is 64MB with 16K block
> size. I would say at least push them to 150-200MB.

Check.  Much more than that isn't necessarily better though.
shared_buffers = 10000 is frequently mentioned as a "sweet spot".

> Secondly your sort mem is too high. Note that it is per sort per query. You
> could build a massive swap storm with such a setting.

Agreed, but I doubt that has anything to do with the immediate
problem, since he's not testing parallel queries.

> Similarly pull down vacuum and WAL buffers to around 512-1024 each.

The vacuum_mem setting here is 32Mb, which seems okay to me, if not on
the low side.  Again though it's not his immediate problem.

I agree that the wal_buffers setting is outlandishly large; I can't see
any plausible reason for it to be more than a few dozen.  I don't know
whether oversized wal_buffers can directly cause any performance issues,
but it's certainly not a well-tested scenario.

The other setting I was going to comment on is checkpoint_warning;
it seems mighty low in comparison to checkpoint_timeout.  If you are
targeting a checkpoint every half hour, I'd think you'd want the system
to complain about checkpoints spaced more closely than several minutes.

But with the possible exception of wal_buffers, I can't see anything in
these settings that explains the originally complained-of performance
problem.  I'm still wondering about foreign key checks.

Сообщение: Re: atrocious update performance
Сообщение: Re: atrocious update performance