Re: Is it safe to ignore the return value of SPI_finish and SPI_execute?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Is it safe to ignore the return value of SPI_finish and SPI_execute?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> writes:
> most places that use SPI_connect ... SPI_finish check the
> return value of SPI_finish and elog if it failed.  There
> are a few places that do not, and it is unclear to me
> why this is safe.  SPI_finish appears to be needed to
> clean up memory contexts.

Well, looking through spi.c, the only failure return that SPI_finish
actually has right now is from _SPI_begin_call:

    if (_SPI_current == NULL)
        return SPI_ERROR_UNCONNECTED;

and if you're willing to posit that those callers did call SPI_connect,
that's unreachable for them.  The more interesting cases such as
failure within memory context cleanup would throw elog/ereport, so
they're not at issue here.

But I agree that not checking is crap coding practice, because there is
certainly no reason why SPI_finish could not have other error-return
cases in future.

One reasonable solution would be to change the callers that got this
wrong.  Another one would be to reconsider whether the error-return-code
convention makes any sense at all here.  If we changed the above-quoted
bit to be an ereport(ERROR), then we could say that SPI_finish either
returns 0 or throws error, making it moot whether callers check, and
allowing removal of now-useless checks from all the in-core callers.

I don't think that actually doing that would be a great idea unless
we went through all of the SPI functions and did it for every "unexpected"
error case.  Is it worth the trouble?  Maybe, but I don't wanna do
the legwork.

> The return value of SPI_execute is ignored in one spot:
>   src/backend/utils/adt/xml.c circa line 2465.

That seems like possibly a real bug.  It's certainly poor practice
as things stand.