Re: PITR Backups

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PITR Backups
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> If you saw a problem I'd be inclined to question whether
>> there is some upstream component (OS or disk controller) that's
>> reordering writes.

> Given thats exactly what they do, constantly, I don't think its safe to
> say that it works since we cannot verify whether that has happened or
> not.

If he's trying to snapshot at a level of hardware that's behind a
write-caching disk controller, I agree that that's untrustworthy.

If not, ie if he's snapshotting the actual durable state of the storage
system, then any problems in the snapshot indicate a problem with the
database's ability to recover from a crash.  So I don't think you should
tell him to not worry.