Re: [bugfix] DISCARD ALL does not release advisory locks

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [bugfix] DISCARD ALL does not release advisory locks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
>> I see your point but there's a pretty high standard for changing
>> existing behavior in bugfix releases.

> DISCARD ALL was specifically added in 8.3 for the purpose of
> connection poolers to be a "big hammer" that exactly emulates a new
> session. I'm somewhat skeptical that there are any applications using
> it directly at all, and doubly so that they would be using it and
> expecting advisory locks to persist.

The fact that it is new in 8.3 definitely weakens the backwards-
compatibility argument.  I tend to agree that it's unlikely anyone is
really depending on this behavior yet.  You could make a case that if we
don't backpatch now, we'd actually be *more* likely to create a problem,
because the longer that 8.3 is out with the current behavior, the more
likely that someone might actually come to depend on it.

On balance I'm for back-patching, but wanted to see what others thought.