Re: Bugtraq: Having Fun With PostgreSQL

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Bugtraq: Having Fun With PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> A message entitled "Having Fun With PostgreSQL" was posted to Bugtraq
> today.  I haven't read through the paper yet so I don't know if the
> author discusses security problems that need attention or if the
> article is more like a compilation of "Stupid PostgreSQL Tricks."
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/471541/30/0/threaded

It appears he's discovered the astonishing facts that

1. The out-of-the-box authentication setup is "trust".
2. A superuser can make the database do whatever he wants (within  the OS privilege limits of the postgres user).

We've debated #1 before, and a lot of repackagers change it, but I
don't really feel a strong urge to change it in the source distro.
As for #2, that's not a bug, it's intended behavior.
        regards, tom lane

PS: I skimmed the paper pretty fast, so it's possible I missed
something interesting, but it sure looked like "what else is new?"