Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell
Дата
Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 05:39:23PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> I proposed new psql's format "shell". This format is optimized for
>> processing returned result in shell:

> I am unclear exactly how this relates to shells.

What I'm unclear on is why we'd want to encourage that style of
programming.  The most charitable prediction of performance is that it
would suck --- not only do you have all the inefficiencies inherent in
row-by-row result processing with a shell script, but you're forcing a
separate database connection for each query.  And I don't actually see
where it would be especially convenient to use, compared to say perl
or python or other scripting languages.  I'd rather see us worrying
about the convenience of cases like
psql ... | perl -e ...

Сообщение: Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell
Сообщение: Re: VIP: new format for psql - shell - simple using psql in shell