Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child
Дата
Re: FK's to refer to rows in inheritance child  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Those are difficulties, certainly. Are they insurmountable obstacles,
> though? This is something that has been on the TODO list for ages and I
> think is very worth doing, if we can.

They're possibly surmountable with enough effort, though I think in
reality what you'd end up with is annoying corner-case behaviors
(eg, deadlock failures in some cases).  Anyway Greg and I seem to
agree on the bottom line: such a feature is not actually interesting
for partitioned tables, as it destroys most of the benefits of
partitioning.  I have a feeling that the feature will languish on the
TODO list forever, unless someone comes up with a brilliant idea to
avoid the problems.  As is, the return on investment to do it just
isn't there.