Re: [INTERFACES] Too many private FDs

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Too many private FDs
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Rolf Lüttecke <rluettecke@gcd.de> writes:
> is anyone able to explain the following error-message extracted from
> the "server.log"?

> -- ERROR:  AllocateFile: too many private FDs demanded

Do you use password verification for any of your clients?

There is a file descriptor leak in the 6.5.* postmaster that is
triggered when an invalid user name is presented to the password
check routine.  Add a FreeFile() call to the bottom of the check
routine, like this:

*** src/backend/libpq/password.c.orig    Tue May 25 12:09:00 1999
--- src/backend/libpq/password.c    Wed Dec  1 10:30:46 1999
***************
*** 90,95 ****
--- 90,97 ----             return STATUS_ERROR;         }     }
+
+     FreeFile(pw_file);      snprintf(PQerrormsg, ERROR_MSG_LENGTH,              "verify_password: user '%s' not found
inpassword file.\n",

This is fixed in current sources and will be fixed in 6.5.4, if
there is another 6.5.* release...

If you *don't* use this style of authentication then we need to
look harder :-(
        regards, tom lane