Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Beginner's question about ODBC and/or foreign data sources
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
groberge@andforthelamb.org writes:
> Anyhow, I'm trying to find information on how to connect PostgreSQL to
> an ODBC data source.  I've seen a lot of information on connecting TO
> PostgreSQL from other (ODBC) sources, but I can't locate a clear
> description of how to access data FROM ODBC sources to query within
> PostgreSQL.  I have software which offers Windows ODBC drivers, but need
> to get at it from PostgreSQL.

> I may be entirely misunderstanding the ODBC issue, but it seems that
> the PostgreSQL ODBC drivers are for connecting TO PostgreSQL, and not
> what I am trying to accomplish.

Yup.

> Do I need to be messing with/foreign data wrappers here?

Yup, what you need is odbc_fdw:
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/246-ODBC-Foreign-Data-wrapper-odbc_fdw-on-windows.html

Be warned that FDWs currently support only reads not writes, and in
general are more development-stage than hardened production code.
I'm not sure what state odbc_fdw in particular is in.  You may well
find that this doesn't work reliably enough to be worth your trouble.