Re: Feature freeze progress report

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Feature freeze progress report
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> My thinking is to move to a two stage release process: Do one
>> "production" release annually, and one "dev" release at the 6 month
>> mid-point.

> I'm not really convinced that this is good idea at all - it would lead
> to further fragmentation of developer resources (likely more versions to
> support and more frequent releases which to put quite a load on
> developers by itself).

That's my reaction too.  The overhead of a "dev" release would be just
as high as a full release, and we don't really have enough manpower
to do two releases a year.  We *definitely* haven't got enough manpower
to double the number of back branches we are trying to keep patched.
So this could only work if dev releases are abandoned from a support
perspective when the next full release comes out, and that will entirely
guarantee that no DBA will use one in production.