Re: Inherited constraints and search paths (was Re: [GENERAL] Preserving data after updates)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Inherited constraints and search paths (was Re: [GENERAL] Preserving data after updates)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Berend Tober <btober@seaworthysys.com> writes:
>> On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 23:27 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> OK, now I finally get the point: you are creating child tables in
>>> different schemas than their parents live in.
>>
> The case in question was not one of the child table being in a different
> partition (do you mean schema?), although that arrangement was
> considered and rejected for other reasons during data base design.

I should clarify: the version of the pg_dump bug that still exists in
HEAD is triggered by putting the child table in a different schema than
the parent.  7.3 has different behavior --- offhand I think that in 7.3
the problem can occur if the child table is created while search_path is
set differently than it was when the parent was created.  (Of course,
across multiple pg_dump and reload cycles this may boil down to the same
thing.  But there are more ways to burn yourself given the 7.3
implementation.)