Re: [OT?] Time-zone database down [was: Re: timezone buglet?]

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [OT?] Time-zone database down [was: Re: timezone buglet?]
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Facts are not subject to copyright but compilations can be.

> I know it's popular for engineers to play lawyer and I've been guilty
> of it on many an occasion. But in this case I think you're all *way*
> oversimplifying the situation and I don't think it's within our ken to
> be able to come to any clear conclusion.

Well, I'm not a lawyer and I'm certainly not volunteering to be counsel
for Messrs. Olson et al.  But I can recognize a troll when I see one.
More to the point, this is an attack on a fundamental piece of open
source infrastructure, and I'm quite sure that a lot of large companies
will be stepping up to help ensure that it stays open.

I feel no need for us to do anything, until and unless there's an
adverse court ruling, which I fully expect there will not be.  And
if there is, we won't be the only ones looking for an alternative
solution.