Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat

От Atri Sharma
Тема Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Sent from my iPad

On 08-Sep-2013, at 4:27, Tomas Vondra <tv@fuzzy.cz> wrote:

> On 5.9.2013 09:36, Atri Sharma wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> I find it hard to get excited about using the AM interface for
>>> this purpose.  To me it makes a lot more sense to have separate,
>>> much simpler code.  We don't need any transactionality, user
>>> defined types, user defined operators, or anything like that.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> But, would not rewriting a lot of existing functionalities
>> potentially lead to points of contention and/or much more effort?
>
> Don't forget the stats are written only by the postmaster, all the
> regular backends only read it (and eventually send updates back). But
> yes, contention might be a problem, because there will have to be some
> kind of locking that is not needed now when the postmaster is writing
> fresh copy into a new file.
>
> But I think we need to implement something and then measure this.
> Because it might even with the contention the overall performance might
> actually improve.
>
> I'd vote to try a simple approach first - adding some simple array
> 'index' allowing fast access to particular records etc. At least that
> was my plan. But feel free to implement something more advanced (e.g. a
> BTree storage) and we can compare the results.

+1 on the simple implementation and measure approach.

My focus here is to identify what kind of queries we expect to be serving from the stats.I think someone mentioned
rangequeries upthread. I feel we should be looking at range trees as secondary index, if not the primary storage for
pgstat.

Regards,

Atri

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat
От: Atri Sharma
Сообщение: Re: [rfc] overhauling pgstat.stat