Re: Why is this system swapping?

От: Jeff
Тема: Re: Why is this system swapping?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Why is this system swapping?  ("Anjan Dave", )
 Re: Why is this system swapping?  (Greg Stark, )
  Re: Why is this system swapping?  (Jeff, )
   Re: Why is this system swapping?  (Greg Stark, )
    Re: Why is this system swapping?  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: Why is this system swapping?  (Jeff, )
 Re: Why is this system swapping?  (Jeff, )
 Re: Why is this system swapping?  ("Anjan Dave", )

On Apr 27, 2005, at 7:46 PM, Greg Stark wrote:

> In fact I think it's generally superior to having a layer like pgpool
> having
> to hand off all your database communication. Having to do an extra
> context
> switch to handle every database communication is crazy.

I suppose this depends on how many machines / how much traffic you have.

In one setup I run here I get away with 32 * 4 db connections instead
of 500 * 4. Pretty simple to see the savings on the db machine. (Yes,
it is a "bad design" as you said where static & dynamic content are
served from the same box. However it also saves money since I don't
need machines sitting around serving up pixel.gif vs
myBigApplication.cgi)

--
Jeff Trout <>
http://www.jefftrout.com/