Re: On-disk bitmap index patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: On-disk bitmap index patch
Дата
Hash indexes (was: On-disk bitmap index patch)  (Jim Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net> writes:
> Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2006-07-25 kell 13:06, kirjutas Tom Lane:
>> The reason I have such high sales resistance is that we've carried the
>> hash and rtree AMs for years, hoping that someone would do the work to
>> make them actually worth using, with little result.

> What would be the use-case for hash indexes ? And what should be done to
> make them faster than btree ?

If we knew, we'd do it ;-)  But no one's put enough effort into it
to find out.

> and was'nt the rtree index recently deprecated in favour of GIST
> implementation of the same ?

Yeah, we finally gave up on rtree entirely.  I don't want to see any
other index AMs languishing in the closet like that.  If bitmap can
hold its own to the extent that people are interested in working on
it/improving it, then great, but I'm worried that it's not going to
have a wide enough use-case to attract maintainers.