Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] Patch to allow C extension modules to initialize/finish
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> In any case, the PG_init proposal neither adds nor takes away ability
>> to do stuff immediately post-fork, so I think that's an orthogonal
>> consideration.

> So is the only question whether there's a need to do stuff pre-fork?

That's not a question, that's a well-established fact --- pl/R certainly
needs it, and any other library that has expensive setup work that can
propagate through a fork does too.

I think adding a hook to allow a postmaster-preloaded library to execute
some work immediately post-fork is a separate consideration.  Feel free
to propose it if you want, but I don't see what it's got to do with the
patch on the table.