Re: [HACKERS] array manipulations

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] array manipulations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Blazso <blazso@deltav.hu> writes:
> If you are interested, I could extend its functionality to other types
> as well and send this small pack to you. For this, however I should know
> more about how Postgres manages types internally...

I think it should be possible to make a type-independent version of that
code, and if you want to do so it'd be a great extension.

How does it look to the user?  Something like
UPDATE table SET arrayfield = arrayInsert(arrayfield, index, newval)
UPDATE table SET arrayfield = arrayDelete(arrayfield, index)

I suppose?  What do you do about multi-dimensional arrays?

One thing a number of people have complained about is that the natural
way to extend an array is
UPDATE table SET arrayfield[n+1] = newval

if arrayfield currently has n entries.  The array assignment code ought
to handle this case but doesn't.  I don't think it would be a huge fix
but I haven't looked at the code enough to understand what would need
to change.