Re: BUG #3725: plsql does not report unknown functions at compile time

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: BUG #3725: plsql does not report unknown functions at compile time
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
"Roger" <ramoloney@hotmail.com> writes:
> At compile time, plpgsql does not report unknown functions. For example, if
> I have a function.
>   p_Func(a,b,c)
> and I have calls to it such as:
>   p_Func(a)
>   p_Func(a,b)
> these are not reported at compile time. They are only found at run time.

This isn't a bug, no matter how much you complain about it.

If we made plpgsql reject such cases, it would break a whole lot of
things --- for example it would become impossible to create a pair of
mutually recursive functions.  Moreover, it's not hard to think of
cases where it's simply not possible to check when the function is
created, because you can't be certain what input datatypes will be
involved and so it's not clear which function is to be called.