Re: [HACKERS] Official adoption of PGXN (was: removing tsearch2)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Official adoption of PGXN (was: removing tsearch2)
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Official adoption of PGXN  (Josh Berkus <josh@berkus.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> writes:
> First, just to clarify: my reasons for proposing "core adoption" of PGXN
> are not technical in nature.

What do you think "core adoption" means?  Surely not that anything
associated with PGXN would be in the core distro.

> Right now contrib is serving two completely separate purposes:

> 1) location for code that (for technical reasons) should be tied to
> specific PG versions
> 2) indication of "official endorsement" of a module by the community

This argument ignores what I think is the real technical reason for
keeping contrib, which is to have a set of close-at-hand test cases
for extension and hook mechanisms.  Certainly, not every one of the
existing contrib modules is especially useful for that purpose, but
quite a few of them are.