Re: changing the default directory

От User Map
Тема Re: changing the default directory
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On doing the following in comand prompt
C:\program files\postgresql\8.2\bin> initdb -D C:\confc
it says
the program "postgres" is neded by initdb but was not found in the
same directory as "C:\program files\postgresql\8.2\bin/initdb". check
your installation.
if i use:
root# mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
root# chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
then its says
'chown' is not recognized as an internal or external command.
where is the problem. i think i have installed the postgre through windows installer. well how to check that how i have installed postgre.
thanks for any help

Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
On 24/01/2008 13:02, User Map wrote:

> i am new to this postgre, i m running postgre under windows server 2003.
> postgres stores the database/data in the directory "C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data" by default. i want to change this directory
> to some other drive. is it posible to do this without comand prompt. if
> it is not then how to do that step by step. and does this one time
> directory change applies to every database that i will create through
> pgadminIII.

Hi,

The data directory is set by using initdb. If you installed using the
pgInstaller, then setting the data directory was one of the steps along
the way....and I don't think you can change that using pgInstaller
without un- and re-installing PostgreSQL altogether (others will correct
me if I'm wrong).

However, it's easy to run initdb from the command line, and this will
let you create a new data directory without having to uninstall first.
Have a look at the docs, here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/creating-cluster.html

It's pretty much the same on Windows as on *nix.

HTH,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie