Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually
Дата
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extract catalog info for error reporting before an error actually  (Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> Shouldn't we rather support the regular usage pattern instead of the
>> uncommon one? Users doing a lot of schema changes are the ones who
>> should have to work around issues, not those using a DBMS sanely. No?

> Unfortunately, doing lots of schema changes is a very common phenomenon.
> It makes me uncomfortable too, but saying that those who do it have to
> work around issues isn't acceptable IMNSHO - it's far too widely done.

Well, there's going to be pain *somewhere* here, and we already know
that users will find the current 8.3 behavior unacceptable.  I'd rather
have autovacuum not make progress than have users turn it off because it
gets in their way too much.  Which I think is exactly what will happen
if we ship it with the current behavior.