Re: default_isolation_level='serializable' crashes on Windows

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: default_isolation_level='serializable' crashes on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> How about we fix the serializable versus HS & Windows bugs in one
> patch, and then look at the other as a separate patch? If that's OK,
> I think this is ready, unless my message text can be improved. (And
> I will have a shot at my first back-patching....)

I poked around this area a bit.  I notice that
check_transaction_read_only has got the same fundamental error: it
thinks it can safely consult RecoveryInProgress(), which in general
it cannot.

The particular cases we have discussed so far cannot lead to a crash
there, because in startup scenarios XactReadOnly wouldn't be on already.
However I think that a background process not connected to shared memory
could be crashed if somebody changed transaction_read_only from true to
false in postgresql.conf.  That's sufficiently far-fetched that maybe we
shouldn't worry about it, but still it seems ugly.

On reflection I think maybe the best solution is for
check_transaction_read_only to test IsTransactionState(), and just
allow the change always if outside a transaction.  That would make its
IsSubTransaction test a bit saner/safer as well.  We could do the same
thing in check_XactIsoLevel.  We still need a test in
GetSerializableTransactionSnapshot, or someplace else in the vicinity
of that, to cover the default_transaction_isolation = serializable case;
but if we leave the error check in place in check_XactIsoLevel, you'll
get an immediate rather than delayed error from trying to crank the
level up manually in hot standby, which seems more user-friendly.

Will send an updated patch as soon as I'm done testing this idea.

One other point: I notice that Kevin used ERRCODE_FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED
in the error messages he added, which seems sane in isolation.
However, the GUC-based code is (by default) throwing
ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE when it rejects due to
RecoveryInProgress.  I'm not totally sure whether that was thought about
or just fell out of not thinking.  Which one do we want here?