Re: Postgres Printed Manuals

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgres Printed Manuals
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Robert James" <srobertjames@gmail.com> writes:
> Also: wouldn't it be a good way for the Postgres project to raise some
> money, by publishing and selling bound and printed versions?

It's hard to make any money that way :-(.  Rich Morin used to run a
business called "Prime Time Freeware" that published hardcopy versions
of our manuals along with much other open-source documentation.
He gave up on it some years ago, though, and I doubt that the market
has improved.

> I believe MySQL has done that for years.

MySQL's situation is a bit different, because they own their
documentation lock-stock-and-barrel and have never distributed it freely
(check the terms sometime, they're not very liberal).  Even so, I'll bet
they're not making any noticeable amount of money from selling hardcopy.