Re: 8.1 release notes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 8.1 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Michael Paesold <mpaesold@gmx.at> writes:
> These I don't really understand:
> - Improve rtree index capabilities and performance (Neil)
> - Replace rtree index code with code from /contrib/rtree_gist (Tom)

Not sure how Bruce got the latter out of this commit message:
Migrate rtree_gist functionality into the core system, and add somebasic regression tests for GiST to the standard
regressiontests.

All that's really happened is that GiST actually has a couple of
opclasses in the core system now, whereas previously they were all
contrib (meaning that GiST was dead weight in a standard installation).

It's also now true that everything you can do with the standard rtree
opclasses, you can do with standard GiST opclasses.

There was some talk of obsoleting rtree further down the road, but it
isn't happening in 8.1.  If no serious bugs crop up in all the new GiST
work Teodor and Oleg did, we might consider obsoleting rtree in 8.2.